NOTE: Signing up for this AMEX card provides compensation and aids in providing high quality content for Navy-PRT.com
Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) American Express has graciously decided to wave the $550 yearly fee for active duty service members serving in the following areas:
- Any member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard) or a reserve component called to active duty (Reserve, National Guard, and Air National Guard).
- National Guard personnel under a call or order to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days (for purposes of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by federal funds).
- Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officers.
- U.S. citizens serving with the forces of a nation with which U.S. is allied in the prosecution of a war or military action.
- Spouses of active duty Servicemembers listed above where credit is extended to a Servicemember and spouse jointly.
This is an amazing deal. In my first year having the card I revived $200 in airline fee reimbursements, $180 in Uber credits, a $100 reimbursement for my Global Access application, and nearly $700 from the points I earned by signing up.
Once you sign up It is easy to apply for SCRA. While the application will state that there is a $550 yearly fee this will be removed once you are approved for the card. Simply call the number on the back of your card ( 1-800-253-1720 ) let them know you are in the Military and send them your proof of active duty service (normally current orders are sufficient. Once they receive proof you’ll never need to pay another AMEX platinum fee again.
The only disappointment with this card is that I discovered it 16 years into my service. Don’t make the same mistake I did; sign up for your card today.